Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Paella y Las Fallas

No automatic alt text available.Yesterday, we celebrated my friend Naomi's 21st birthday.  We went to a small restaurant and ordered paella.  Paella is a typical dish in Valencia.  It is baked rice or small noodles with vegetables, meat or seafood.  After, we walked down to a frozen yogurt shop.  Naomi and her friend Sarah leave on Thursday.  I am glad I was able to meet and become friends with them.  Good luck at school!

Today, I had my last day of classes at the university.  That also meant saying good-bye to the friends in my class.  Most of them are from America and are leaving in the next few days.  Good luck ladies and if you are in the Niagara Falls area, send me a message!

No automatic alt text available.
After class today, I went to the Fallas Museum.  Fallas is a huge festival here in Valencia that occurs in the Spring.  Unfortunately, I will be gone so instead I went to the museum!  Every year, many artists build "fallas" or monuments made out of carton, cardboard or paper mache. Often the mock an aspect of society and portray the artist's personality. All of the fallas become part of a giant parade and on the last night, they are turned into giant bonfires.  The festival is five days long.  People dress in traditional and historical costumes and eat paella.  This festival shows off the beauty of the culture of the city.  To the left is a picture of a fallas from the museum and below is a picture of the burning:

Image result for las fallas

No comments:

Post a Comment