Friday, December 18, 2015

Palacio del Marques de Dos Aguas, Catedral y Comida

No automatic alt text available.
Yesterday, I headed into the center of the city to see some of the historical buildings.  I started my morning in the Palacio del Marques de Dos Aguas.  A Marques is a nobleman of hereditary rank.  In the English system, he is above an earl but below a duke.  Half of it has been restored to its original grandeur and the other half houses a beautiful ceramics museum.  Unfortunately for me, there were school groups everywhere but I was still able to enjoy my visit.  The building is four floors high with beautifully painted ceilings and walls.  The one staircase makes you feel like you are actually in a palace; it has red velvet carpeting and a crystal chandelier.  I have been hesitant to take pictures in museums since Barcelona, especially when I see workers throughout it.  Therefore, I took the picture on the right from online.  That is the ballroom of the palace.

No automatic alt text available.No automatic alt text available.

After, I went to the the Valencia Cathedral, a cathedral that appears in many of my pictures.  I went inside for the first time yesterday.  The Cathedral was absolutely huge.  It is decorated in the Gothic style although some of the chapels are of Baroque.  In one of the chapels, there are two paintings made by Francisco de Goya, a famous Spanish painter.  There is also a small worship space attached to the cathedral by a small hallway.  The worship space was built in the 1400s and smelled like it too.  In the hallway, there were two paintings, one so badly decomposed that it was brown with slight outlines.  The other was half restored and you could only make out the top half.  After the cathedral, I went to the Basilica that is next door to the Cathedral.  However, I did not take any pictures since it was an active worship place.

Today, I had a nice lunch with my friend from Brasil, João.  He wanted hamburgers so we went to a restaurant that is all over Valencia.  It tasted like a real hamburger from home.  I haven't had one in four months.  It was very nice to spend some with a good friend before I leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment