Thursday, October 15, 2015

Catalunya: A Political Debate

One of the major political issues in Spain is that of the province of Catalunya.  Catalunya is in Northern Spain, along the French border. Barcelona is the capital city and everyone in the province speaks Catalan.  There is a movement in Catalunya to become independent from Spain.  Half of the people want to be their own country and the other half wants to be part of Spain.

There are many reasons for this.  There are some theories that it is because Catalunya isn't happy with the Spanish government taking their tax money and putting it toward the poorer provinces. Also, most of the regular Spaniards look down on the Catalans as dirty or aren't really Spanish because they don't speak Spanish or have dangerous cities.  But these are all stereotypes that aren't true.  I have had two professors from Catalunya and they are great.  I have been to Barcelona and I didn't feel threatened.

Really this issue started back in the thirteenth century with King Jaime I.  When he wanted to take over the island of Mallorca, near the Eastern coast, he enlisted the help of the city of Barcelona.  After they took it from the Turks, the people of Barcelona settled on the island.  Soon after, they started to cheat the King out of the money from the harbor on the island.  From that point of Jaime segregated the area.  They had Jaime as a king but they were generally independent.

This whole political debate started 800 years ago.

Update on School:

I had a very good week.  On Tuesday I made a presentation about the Iroquois to my anthro class and they loved it.  My teacher even told me that I speak Spanish very well.  My classmates have also been more friendly with me.  I feel much more included.

Fun Fact:

Arizona's name comes from the words "arida zona" or arid zone because of the desert.

No comments:

Post a Comment