Sunday, October 18, 2015

Pobreza Cero

Last night it hit me that my stay in Valencia is half over.  As I walked through the streets, with all the lights shining, I thought, how did I get here?  Valencia is simply amazing.  It was scary at first and at times, I really wanted to come home.  But I am glad that I stepped onto the plane back in August.  This experience has been absolutely life changing.

Yesterday I went into the kitchen for lunch and discovered that Rosa, my house mom, had prepared a full course meal for us and her daughter's family.  We had lasagna, salad, ice cream and the egg desert flan.  It was absolutely wonderful.  After, we spent time with the grand kids, showed them the real version of the song "Let It Go" and helped Rosa's daughter with her English homework.

Last night, Nancy and I went down to the city center to do some Christmas shopping.  We were walking around when we came upon a crowd and some drumming noises.  It was an organized protest.  The cops were helping them and everything!  There was a percussion ensemble marching in front followed by people with signs that read "Pobreza Cero" or "Zero Poverty." It was just amazing to walk through the streets and then all of a sudden happen upon a protest.


No comments:

Post a Comment