Sunday, October 25, 2015

El Fin de Semana

My weekend, or "fin de semana," was fantastic.  It started Thursday night when Nancy, our roommate Matthias and I went to a bar with some of Matthias's German and Swiss friends from International House.  We had some great Sangria and met a girl from Switzerland that we would like to go out with again.

On Friday night, Nancy was off with some friends from the University so Matthias and I went down in the center to a small bar that had a jam session.  Matthias is a very talented piano player and musician so as we were watching the group, we were whispering little comments back and forth.  For one, the singer had no stage presence whatsoever.  The violin player was very good though.  What confused me at first was that he was playing notes that were too low for a violin.  I looked at his pegs and sure enough, he had five instead of four.  He had all the strings that a violin and viola have.

For the evening on Saturday, Nancy and I went over to our friends's apartment for a movie night.  They are both from Ireland.  The movie we watched was a horror/thriller called "You're Next."  It was about the slaughtering of a family when the four children and their significant others came home to celebrate their parents's anniversary.  The movie was more suspenseful than scary with an exciting plot twist that you didn't expect.  After, we met Matthias, the Swiss girl, a different girl from Germany and a guy from South Africa for some drinks in the city center.

My buddy Marta on the left, some girls from my class and I.

Today, we had an activity with the Buddy Program at the University.  About a quarter of my anthropology class was there since my teacher was running the activity.  We went to the Valencian History Museum which is in an old building that used to be part of the water system of the city.  So, the inside was a system of brick arches.  It was pretty cool.  After, we ate our lunches in the dry river bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment