Friday, October 9, 2015

El Día de La Comunidad Valenciana

The family!

Last night, Nancy, my roommates and I went out with some of the students from one of Nancy's classes.  All of them are natives of Spain, which meant having many conversations in Spanish.  I am proud to say that I did really well.  I was even told by the one girl that I wasn't making any mistakes.  Granted, I had to ask people slow down and clearly I have an awkward American accent, but I was surprised by how well I did.  I was effectively able to communicate with people my own age.  It has made much more confident!

Today was the day of the Valencian community.  Today marks the day of when the Christian Kingdoms kicked the Moors out of Valencia... obviously centuries before.  Nancy and I went to the morning celebration which consisted of a larger firecracker display that shook our bodies and made us cover our ears.  I believe the loud booms were supposed to symbol the fighting that took place in Valencia.  We then walked around the city, where there were small stands full of scarves, jewelry, purses and other things.  We didn't see the parade, but chances are that I wouldn't have been able to see anything anyway.  The city was crawling with people.

Tomorrow, at 6:30 in the morning we are off to Barcelona, so keep your eyes out for photos and blog posts!


No comments:

Post a Comment