Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Aquarium, Valenciano and History



Over the weekend, I visited the Oceanografic for the second time.  It is that good of an aquarium.  This tome I was able to see the whole dolphin show.  They used a total of seven dolphins and they had them doing flips and twirls of all sorts.  They had them speak and a guy rode a dolphin again.  It was an awesome show.  My favorite part of the aquarium is the Arctic.  The outside is shaped like a giant igloo and inside one can see walruses and Beluga whales from the top and underwater.  In the Beluga whale exhibit, they sometimes have seals because they live together in the wild.

Today I had one class: in English, History of Spain through Cinema.  There are other Americans in the class but they are part of a different program.  I am grouped with the other exchange students from Europe and South America.  They are in a program specifically for Americans who come to Spain with knowing limited Spanish.  Today we were talking about when the Romans conquered Spain and I learned an interesting fact.  The Romans invented the shopping mall. In one of the event centers in Rome, the walls were filled with shops.  When there was a break in the fighting, the Romans would go do their shopping.  My other two classes were cancelled so I only had my internship at night.

Fun Fact:  Most people here think that all of Canada speaks French.

A note on Valenciano:  Valencia has its own dialect called Valenciano.  It is not used often but there are influences from it all over the city.  The Spanish word for street is "Calle" but the streets say "Carrer" which is the word for street in Valenciano.  All of the signs for the bus and metro are in Spanish and Valenciano.

No comments:

Post a Comment